This Technology was recently licensed for free
A LED based projection unit is used by cinemas to project a simple vision test on the existing screen of the cinemas. When the test is projected, individuals with normal vision will see it differently to individuals with macular degeneration/eccentric fixation. A voice prompt will guide the audience to self-screen and follow up with a visit to the GP or Eye Care Professional if required.
- Early detection of macular degeneration
- Diagnosis of eccentric fixation
- Mass screening
- Public awareness of eye health
- Self-diagnosis without appointment
- Prevention of blindness
- An essential test for an aging population
- Community service
- Attract advertising revenue
The projection unit can be a valuable teaching aid in Schools of Optometry/Medicine. It will promote manufacture of LED spot lights and the electrical and optical components of the projector unit.
A number of opportunities stem from adopting and screening this test in Cinemas:
- Cinema Complexes – may run the test to attract advertising revenue from other sponsors.
- Vision Institutes / Organisations / NFPs may choose to sponsor the screening tests in order to increase national awareness of MD / EF.
- Optometrists / GPs – advertise their professional services
- Pharmaceutical companies – advertise their medicines for eye health
- Low Vision Aid manufacturers – advertise their products / brand.